Poll

What do you see as the most likely means for a possible 60 FPS performance of PGA TOUR 2K21 on the XBox Series X & S?

As a result of a future software update from HB Studios
1 (14.3%)
By way of Microsoft's new "FPS Boost" feature
5 (71.4%)
Nothing - frame rate will remain locked at 30 FPS
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

2K21's possible 60 FPS status on the Series X/S?

• 22 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 04:30:09 PM »
Great news. Thanks HB and JC  ;D

I will be booting it up when I get home in about 30 min.

I'll b4e hanging on your every word once you've had a chance to play it.  I think you're going to be surprised, especially by the putting.  As you play it, think about how it no longer feels like you're swinging the club underwater!

Paul, if you don't mind, check to see whether it defaulted to 30 Hz when you first boot it up.  I believe it does.  I just hope everyone remembers that you have to go in the "Graphics" menu to change vsync from 30 to 60 Hz to make it play at 60 FPS.  That's not going to be all that straightforward to some folks.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

HB_CraigC

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 05:04:07 PM »
As a developer, you've got to admit that the ability of this game to now run at 60 FPS on the consoles allows it to more faithfully meet your design basis for the tempo swing?  I predict this is going to translate to more sales for the game... as it is now, IMO, a new and markedly better game.

When you say 60 FPS on Gen 5 was included in this update, was something less than 60 FPS included for the One S & X? 

I have to also ask, did anything have to change in regard to the graphics resolution or detail level for 60 FPS to be attained?

The higher the framerate the more accurate the results will align with how it was designed and tuned, of course. Nothing was done graphically to afford 60fps on gen5.

Regarding gen4, the option is there to increase it to 60fps, but it is very unlikely 60fps will be achievable with any real consistency (the purpose for the 30fps lock on gen4 originally) because of the lack of power in those consoles. The XB1X and PS4Pro would likely fair better than their standard counterparts. I would still recommend this be played at 30fps for consistency sake on gen4 consoles.

If you had any idea how long we were sitting on this change you'd likely see red though jc... just had to wait for a patch release to include it in.
~Senior Game Designer

lastchancehombre

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 05:36:54 PM »
check to see whether it defaulted to 30 Hz when you first boot it up

It did!
Courses published,

Mad River Golf Complex  (2022 Tilted Kilt Invitational)
Woodley Island Golf Club (2019 TGCT Promo Event)
Nai Palm Hot Springs       (2018 Western Pacific Championship)
Vaquero Valley GC Tour   (2018 Barbasol Championship)
Stone Lagoon Dunes (Tour Worthy)
Beau Pre Estates

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 07:35:27 PM »
The higher the framerate the more accurate the results will align with how it was designed and tuned, of course.

Okay, thanks for that feedback from a developer's perspective.  I have to say, I don't own a game that undergoes as much of a transformation in going from 30 FPS to 60 FPS than this one!

Regarding gen4, the option is there to increase it to 60fps, but it is very unlikely 60fps will be achievable with any real consistency (the purpose for the 30fps lock on gen4 originally) because of the lack of power in those consoles. The XB1X and PS4Pro would likely fair better than their standard counterparts. I would still recommend this be played at 30fps for consistency sake on gen4 consoles.

I can see where this would be an issue on my stock XBox One, which isn't even connected to anything anymore, btw.  I do plan to try it on my XBox One X later tonight, however.  What happens with this game when the hardware can't deliver the frames at 60 Hz, is it more of what you would call judder or frame skipping?  I would imagine it would be more prone to screen tearing also?

I'm going to tee it up at Quail Hollow (official) here in a bit.  I know it's one that taxes my PC about as much as I've seen.  It would knock my PC down to the upper 30's in spots at 4K.  This is a PC that can run 80% of the courses at 60 FPS in 4K.  I think this will be a good test of how well the Series X can hold up at 4K while trying to maintain 60 FPS.  I'm sure you guys have tested scenarios like that already, so you probably already know what I'll be seeing, but I'll give you my take on it.

If you had any idea how long we were sitting on this change you'd likely see red though jc... just had to wait for a patch release to include it in.

I appreciate your being candid here with me about this.  I would think your curiosity about how it would perform on the Series X had to go up when you got your first Series X hardware for development.  I never foresaw the angle you guys are taking with throwing the vsync option for all gen 4 and 5 console owners to have the option available to them.  It's a smart approach though.  I'm sure they'll be able to find some of the less densely appointed courses and find a course or two that will allow them to taste the goodness of a 60 FPS swing.  That might be enough to convince some to upgrade so they can play a wider variety of courses at 60 FPS.

I'm not a developer or a publisher, so I don't pretend to know what obstacles you guys are confronted with in releasing updates.  I don't suspect that you're in the "free update certification" realm anymore, now that you're partnered with 2K, so it makes sense that you'd have to bundle updates now to get more bang for your buck.

But no... please don't clue me in on how long you've had this part of the update checked out and ready to go 8)  I'm just glad it happened and that it's working so well, at least for far.  Oh, the Bay Hill Club is stunning, so kudos on that also.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Stan Solo

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »
60 fps    :o    .... anyone who says God doesn't exist is talking baloney 

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »
60 fps    :o    .... anyone who says God doesn't exist is talking baloney

LOL... preach it brother!  I can say that perhaps only one update in my history as a gamer that might top this one.  That was when PGA Championship Golf 99 got an update about six weeks after release to include a full screen, reverse angle snap camera.  That update only changed the visuals, however, the 2K21 vsync option changed the visuals and the kinetics. 
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

hammers1man

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »
As a developer, you've got to admit that the ability of this game to now run at 60 FPS on the consoles allows it to more faithfully meet your design basis for the tempo swing?  I predict this is going to translate to more sales for the game... as it is now, IMO, a new and markedly better game.

When you say 60 FPS on Gen 5 was included in this update, was something less than 60 FPS included for the One S & X? 

I have to also ask, did anything have to change in regard to the graphics resolution or detail level for 60 FPS to be attained?

The higher the framerate the more accurate the results will align with how it was designed and tuned, of course. Nothing was done graphically to afford 60fps on gen5.

Wouldn't an option for lower resolutions help with that Craig. Personally I'd rather play the game at 1080p on the PS Pro than have it struggling framerate wise to hit 60fps with vsync.
I am not a fan of vsync because of the latency and micro stutters it can produce, I used to turn it off unless the tearing was really bad before I bought a Gsync monitor.
For those with a Series X and a compatible TV ,VRR support is a must on this game. This game plays so well with VRR just silky smooth since HB fixed the framerate problems on PC a while back.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:56:08 PM by hammers1man »

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2021, 01:56:52 PM »
Wouldn't an option for lower resolutions help with that Craig. Personally I'd rather play the game at 1080p on the PS Pro than have it struggling framerate wise to hit 60fps with vsync.

I'm in your camp on this option.  I'm seeing more and more of this with an increasing number of developers.  At least make it an option... you can always have it default to the developers choice, but I know a significant portion of the user base would opt for 1080p at 60 FPS, including myself, but now I don't have to make that sacrifice.

I am not a fan of vsync because of the latency and micro stutters it can produce, I used to turn it off unless the tearing was really bad before I bought a Gsync monitor.
For those with a Series X and a compatible TV ,VRR support is a must on this game. This game plays so well with VRR just silky smooth since HB fixed the framerate problems on PC a while back.

I'm totally with you on the desire for an option to disable vsync.  We now have a VRR supported console and VRR displays, this would be the best way to optimize performance while presenting no risk of screen tearing.  HB Studios went as far as adding an option for 60 Hz vsync, why not an option to simply disable it as well?   
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash