Divot Derby

• 10 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« on: March 17, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »
My curiosity got the best of me and I checked in this AM to see if Divot Derby was available yet, and it was.  I approached this from the perspective of a crotchety old fart with the mindset of, we don't need any more gimmicky game play.  Well, I'm here to say (I enjoyed it!).

The objective is to get the ball in the hole the fastest.  It doesn't matter how many strokes you take, so don't take a lot of time picking clubs, shaping shots, assessing wind, slopes, and elevations, load, aim, and fire!  It starts of with 20 golfers and the slower finishers are eliminated in varying lots each hole.  I made it to the next to the last hole in my effort and finished 4th overall.  I made a double bogey on a par 3 hole, yet I was the first to finish the hole out 12 players!?

You have to play this game with a different mind set and it will take you some time not to mull over your shot.  There was a sense of urgency about it that's not normally a part of golf.  It was fun to have 20 people out there at once, but it also was already getting old by the time I finished.  I can't see myself playing it everyday, but it has a peculiar appeal to it.

HB Studios did some work on the production qualities of it and the announcing was a key ingredient to selling the experience.  It flowed without a hitch that I could see.  One interesting thing is you can't fast-forward your shot.  The pins are also in the hole for putting, which annoys me a bit.  I didn't take the time to try to pull them out by hitting the X button, as minimizing button mashing time is key.

I can see where this mode would have some appeal to a lot of younger players though.  Anything that helps sell the game, I'm all for it, as long as I still have my more simulation oriented options to go to. 

That's all the crow pie I can eat today... over and out!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:57:22 AM by jcauthen04 »
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 12:10:41 PM »
It's the sort of online Experience i Enjoy.

Stan Solo

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 01:13:32 PM »
yeah it's fun for a while  ... until the novelty wears off

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 02:12:00 PM »
It works well when i just played with Canuck's Group i think it got up to 18,But i feel you need at least 10 for it to work well, Will be interesting to see the numbers playing after a week or so,Got to give credit to HB its been done really well i feel if faster paced golf your thing online.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 02:18:45 PM by Yeltzman »

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 02:45:42 PM »
It works well when i just played with Canuck's Group i think it got up to 18,But i feel you need at least 10 for it to work well, Will be interesting to see the numbers playing after a week or so,Got to give credit to HB its been done really well i feel if faster paced golf your thing online.

I think they did a good job of programming and producing it based on my trial with it.  I thought it was going to take a while to pony up players, but within two minutes of entering the pool, we had a group of 20 ready to play.

It's hard to think of what you're doing here as "golf".  You have different priorities with it and it calls for tactics that would be eschewed by golfers in the process of playing a conventional golf game.  You just have to tell yourself that you're not playing a deliberate, fewest strokes wins game.  Is it for everybody?  Certainly not, but I think it will be an attraction for younger and more casual fans.  I didn't come away hating it by any stretch, but when the competition was over, I was ready to move on to traditional golf.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Gasman

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 04:22:34 PM »
Anyone know if swing meter can be disabled on these online modes ?

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 06:19:25 PM »

Did you try turning off the distance control meter in the Display & HUD settings? This should hide the power bar from view in the HUD even if it is set to on in the difficulty settings.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Martbloke

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 06:45:39 PM »

Did you try turning off the distance control meter in the Display & HUD settings? This should hide the power bar from view in the HUD even if it is set to on in the difficulty settings.

Yep it's called "Shot Setup Feedback"

Gasman

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 10:45:48 PM »
Thanks JC & Mart that works.
Just cannot play with that meter visible.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 11:08:55 PM »
Divotmaker
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED

PGA Tour 2K21 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
https://twitch.tv/frstdwn4lw

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 11:27:42 PM »
Divotmaker

That’s the first thing I thought of when I read the title for the new multiplayer mode.  :'(

-MERACE

space-cash