Gold Callaway Irons - Sponsorship Reward Career Mode now unavailable to me

• 17 Replies

IIJohnnyRingoII

« on: October 10, 2021, 01:57:55 PM »
I won the Gold Callaway irons as a sponshorship reward when the game first came out.  I have been using them for months on end.  Decided to try a new set of clubs, did not like them, go to change back to my Gold Callaway irons...and they are no longer available.

Checked in career mode...and they are no longer listed.

Any ideas of why they are no longer available?

Martbloke

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 03:16:30 PM »
Not entirely sure but must be some kind of license issue. Either it's run out or someone else has bought the license (EA). Can't see any other reason why they'd be pulled from the game.

Edit: or were they these that are now for DLC for payment?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1715811/PGA_TOUR_2K21_Callaway_Club_Drop_Pack/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 03:18:32 PM by Martbloke »

GoCubs2016

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 03:37:05 PM »
I think they've simply been removed. In career mode now, the only Callaway sponsor reward is the Odyssey putter.

And in my selection of available clubs, I still see a Mavrik Max driver, woods, hybrids, irons, the wedges, the putter, etc. So the items in the DLC pack are still in the game, too. It's just the ones that were sponsor rewards that are missing.

Also found someone else who noticed this...guess it's the Callaway Sub-Zero driver and Callaway Pro clubs that are the ones that are removed: https://tgctours.proboards.com/post/685670
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 03:50:07 PM by GoCubs2016 »

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 04:03:10 PM »
I think they've simply been removed. In career mode now, the only Callaway sponsor reward is the Odyssey putter.

And in my selection of available clubs, I still see a Mavrik Max driver, woods, hybrids, irons, the wedges, the putter, etc. So the items in the DLC pack are still in the game, too. It's just the ones that were sponsor rewards that are missing.

Also found someone else who noticed this...guess it's the Callaway Sub-Zero driver and Callaway Pro clubs that are the ones that are removed: https://tgctours.proboards.com/post/685670

Thanks for finding that and the confirmation that I was not imagining this  (It was the Callaway Pro irons that I had won as a career reward).  I wish I would have known to not change my clubs or to lose them forever.  It's another head scratching decision/or bug that continues to amaze me with the developer.

I will learn to adjust, and just try another set of clubs...but just is annoying to continue to have to deal with so many issues on a game 12 plus months after release.

GoCubs2016

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »

Thanks for finding that and the confirmation that I was not imagining this  (It was the Callaway Pro irons that I had won as a career reward).  I wish I would have known to not change my clubs or to lose them forever.  It's another head scratching decision/or bug that continues to amaze me with the developer.

I will learn to adjust, and just try another set of clubs...but just is annoying to continue to have to deal with so many issues on a game 12 plus months after release.

No problem...this is even more frustrating as they are removing things, and now re-issuing old Clubhouse Passes, instead of offering new content. Plus, they added paid DLC bundles of items that are available for "free" in game, just to squeeze out some money from the fresh PS Plus meat that just downloaded the game.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 04:07:45 PM by GoCubs2016 »

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 06:14:42 PM »
I simply do not understand removing items from a game, and not having a substitute item to replace a reward.  Hopefully it is just a server side bug...but with the DLC introduced for Callaway, I doubt it.

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 07:03:50 PM »
Let's see..make the game easier, Remove the clubs that you earned through their career mode sponsership play and, then offer to sell them back to you?   $$$.
  I can't even tell what I've bought, what they've taken back.  I do know. No more dlc purchases here and, I support all dlc for golf.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 08:51:39 PM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

GoCubs2016

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 01:08:02 AM »
Let's see..make the game easier, Remove the clubs that you earned through their career mode sponsership play and, then offer to sell them back to you?   $$$.
  I can't even tell what I've bought, what they've taken back.  I do know. No more dlc purchases here and, I support all dlc for golf.

They aren't even selling them back to you. The ones they removed are not accessible at all anymore - there are no more Callaway Sub-Zero drivers or Pro irons available. If you have them in your bag, then replace them, they're gone for good.

The ones in the DLC pack can easily be "purchased" with VC, so buying it is a waste since you can unlock them for free. But the new PS Plus users probably don't know that, so they probably figured it's an easy way to squeeze a few extra bucks outta this thing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:11:53 AM by GoCubs2016 »

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 04:47:30 AM »
Oh, okay thanks for clearing that up.   And the re-release of season 2?    I think that stuff is purchasable as well,. Correct?  Reason I ask is I was a few levels short of everything on pc when season 2 timer ran out on me yet I see and purchased with vc the titlist glove and think I see the remaining footjoy shoes available to purchase as well.
  Not that I would consider re buying season 2, just wondering as that remaining gear looked like it had recently shown up on pc
    I'm still far too disappointed in the bunker gameplay downgrade patch that I won't be investing anymore in this game though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 04:50:55 AM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 04:58:05 AM »
Also, I've never seen a game where content or purchased dlc just disappears.  I understand expiring licenses where it's no longer sold but, disappearing altogether??  That is really disturbing.
  All of the licensed stuff is really cool but, unlike older golf games the stuff you buy isn't forever. So, do you really want it then?/ How much are you really willing to pay for extra cosmetic content that's just a rental?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:57:07 AM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 08:30:33 AM »
Not entirely sure but must be some kind of license issue. Either it's run out or someone else has bought the license (EA). Can't see any other reason why they'd be pulled from the game.

Edit: or were they these that are now for DLC for payment?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1715811/PGA_TOUR_2K21_Callaway_Club_Drop_Pack/

Perhaps EA has got the Callaway license moving forward?  Strange that they have other Callaway products, but removed the reward.

It's not the end of the world, as I will just try some other clubs, but still disappointing to not even include a notice of the update that any content has been removed. 

Or maybe it truly was inadvertent, and is just a bug.  Just as likely given the numerous bugs that are still in the game.

GoCubs2016

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 11:26:46 AM »
Also, I've never seen a game where content or purchased dlc just disappears.  I understand expiring licenses where it's no longer sold but, disappearing altogether??  That is really disturbing.
  All of the licensed stuff is really cool but, unlike older golf games the stuff you buy isn't forever. So, do you really want it then?/ How much are you really willing to pay for extra cosmetic content that's just a rental?

This is the first time I can recall a golf game where the devs/publishers not only made certain items unavailable, but removed them completely, even if you unlocked them in-game. I mean, Tiger Woods games allow you to play all the DLC courses you downloaded, but you just can't download them now if you didn't buy them initially. EA never pulled the courses from the game so you couldn't even play them once they lost those licenses. This is just one of the things that makes me frustrated when games are uber-connected to online servers, meaning that game modes and game content are dependent on server stability, availability, etc. Things can go missing without a moments notice, and with no explanation.

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 12:49:11 PM »
Purchased the "Purple Callaway" Irons with in game coins (no out of pocket money), and played my society rounds.

These particular irons hit about 7-10 yards further per iron than the "Gold Callaway's" that were removed, and are a little more twitchy tempo wise...but have much quicker stopping properties on the greens (less roll out).  It also seemed like taking a little bit of loft off had a much larger impact to ball spin.

I now have a large 15 yard gap between my 9 iron, and longest wedges; so will be trying some different wedges to try and get that 15 yards down to under 10 yards.

So...despite being frustrated with content going missing...I hopefully can adjust moving forward with what is available.

It was fun playing with the purple irons as I was really focused on trying to make good shots with them, whereas the gold ones were fairly easy to hit good shots with.

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 05:12:58 AM »
We'll, I see that HB restarted my season 2 clubhouse pass on pc ( where my time ran out unlocking through my original purchase of it).  Thanks HB!
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

HB_CraigC

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Today at 11:58:07 AM »
I won the Gold Callaway irons as a sponshorship reward when the game first came out.  I have been using them for months on end.  Decided to try a new set of clubs, did not like them, go to change back to my Gold Callaway irons...and they are no longer available.

Checked in career mode...and they are no longer listed.

Any ideas of why they are no longer available?

Known bug.
~Senior Game Designer

space-cash