« on: June 17, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »
Build No: Early Acces V 0.8
Game Area: Physics
Title: Lie Types
Summary: Various Lie Types do not act as they should
Reproduction Steps: See below
Reproduction Rate: See below
Screen Shot if possible

So I was playing the game and was messing around to see what kind of lie types there are. Although Lie types such as Downhill, Uphill, Down slope, Up slope, and Uneven Lies seem to not be present, they are only when the hills are extreme (Max Hills for the most part). The ball reacts closer to what it actually should when being hit from one of these slopes.

This got me wondering if this type of physics feature is bugged since the behavior when hitting off an Up sloped Lie is for the ball to have a tendency to go the way of the slope doesn't happen as much as you'd think. I may create a video for this as explaining it doesn't do it justice. The intended behavior is under exaggerated if anything.

Also I understand this is still Alpha and may be in the process of being reworked, however Hot Shots Golf has somewhat of a good indicator of the Lie of the ball as illustrated at the bottom right of the screenshot http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/06/hotshotspsprv2.jpg. Sand is a perfect example, due to the possibility of the ball being hardly buried (Easier shot) or mostly buried (harder shot), this type of indicator would be good information so the player could shape their shot to how the ball would react when coming from the lie. I know this is in TGC at the top right, however it looks likes it's just a percentage with a generic terrain type image. I am finding no matter what, hitting from the sand is practically impossible to get it to react the way you would like it to. I also understand Sand is a hazard and is meant to be hard, but usually in real life golf, fairway shots are easier than around the green, and I find that in this game it is the exact opposite.

Also hazards and being able to mark your course would be fantastic, but I'm sure thats a pipe dream.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:27:44 PM by seahole »

AdamV HB

• GroupMember
  • Physics / Camera Engineer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »
Out of curiosity, how many yards off target are you expecting to see over 75, 150, 250 yds when hitting off a side hill lie?

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »
As far as i experienced it so far:
  • Sidehill-lie deviation is realistic and in the right amount. (To your question Adam, it depends on the amount of sidehill, for 10° you'd expect about 5% deviation = to 3.25Y, 7.5Y and 12.5Y for 75, 150 and 250Y)
  • Up- / Downhill (playing to higher or lower target) meets RL quit perfectly.
  • Up- / Downhill lie is simply missing. Slopes of 5° +/- or less in RL can be corrected by adjusting stands and swing. From there (more then 5° +/-) the lies-loft should be added to the loft of the club, thus in a 15° downhill lie a 8i gets the trajectory of a 6i or in a 25° uphill lie a 7i is converted int a AW (between PW and SW). And its not only the trajectories that change, but also the length of the shot is changed corresponding. A good practicable formula to compnesate for up-/downhill lies in RL is to shift up/down 1 club per 5° slope. To put this to the extreme: Playing a uplofted LW (70°) out of a 45° uphill lie (exmp. in a greenbunker) will give it a trajectory of 115° what meens that the ball will fly out backwards.  ;)
    A very common golfers-error in this content is that players stand in the vertical (gravity-line). This leads to blowing the clubhead into the ground in a uphill lie and hitting the wrong ball (earth-globe) before the ball in a downhill lie, thus thinning or even topping the ball. Instead players should stand in the vertical of the terrain (right angle). Thus having the clubhead attaking the ball at the "standard" angle of attack, like -3 to -5° to the terrain. (For teaching this i use the analogy to skiing. Allways have your weight on the lower leg.) This addaption not only requires shot-trajectory and lenght adjustemen, but also the correction of the toons grafics.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

AdamV HB

• GroupMember
  • Physics / Camera Engineer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
Yes, we are of the opinion that the effects of our side hill lies are producing realistic results without trying to over exaggerate them.  Our uphill/down hill lies may be under exaggerated at the moment and we may look into this once time permits.

space-cash