Wind & Design ? did HB do this to get rid of a few

• 11 Replies

Hawk Eye

« on: July 31, 2014, 06:28:40 PM »
With there being some 3800 courses out there now , surely this makes a lot of Courses that are out there unplayable now,  Designs have to take into account for the Driver being able to reach fairways or hitting over water or to doglegs.
It does not bother me I don`t do Tourneys , but you will have to re think on design .
13 MPH winds,  ? how many yards does that take off a Drive about 26 yds or add to a Drive,
IMO it won`t get rid of a few it could get rid of 90 % ?.
Then the game will have an onslaught of courses coming from consoles , whose designers may know nothing of the above, then they are back to where they are now if not worse,  good luck with that HB ? .
All those working on any course at the moment especially Real courses will need a serious re think, Holes done will need a re work taking into consideration this strong wind against or with a shot , your course could be un playable.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:03:40 PM by Hawk Eye »

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »
I know of two holes on my courses that would be hit pretty hard by this one. Most of them aren't an issue...but two long par 4's could bea big problem.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Hawk Eye

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »
I know of two holes on my courses that would be hit pretty hard by this one. Most of them aren't an issue...but two long par 4's could bea big problem.
Yes and I see you have 3 in Progress !.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:15:07 PM by Hawk Eye »

Dr. Yeti

• GroupMember
  • Handicap: 10
    • My 2014 Golf Stats (RL)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:29 PM »
Good rule of thumb when designing.   Don't force a carry more than 215-225 yds from the tee, or from anywhere on the course for that matter unless there is a proper layup option.

Hawk Eye

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »
Good rule of thumb when designing.   Don't force a carry more than 215-225 yds from the tee, or from anywhere on the course for that matter unless there is a proper layup option.
Yup lots know that ,lots do not , more important how does this affect your courses , because its to late now if that was not taken into consideration when you did them , any one new to the game playing a course that is a bit dodgy on those distances will not know what`s hit them , there`s a Drive or ? shot on Little Brook Manor Over water made by HB ? I wonder how that will now stack up playing it with that sort of wind against .
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:45:27 PM by Hawk Eye »

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
you can certainly give someone the CHOICE to carry more than that...but there should always be a bailout area.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

HB_LorinB

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 09:47:10 PM »
This is part of the early access process.  Things change as we iterate and try to make the best game possible.  Any course made in early access should be made with the understanding that it is possible things could change.  We changed the length of the clubs at one point too, and that had a pretty dramatic effect on the courses already created.

So understand, things may still be tweaked a bit until launch.

tastegw

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 09:49:14 PM »
This is part of the early access process.  Things change as we iterate and try to make the best game possible.  Any course made in early access should be made with the understanding that it is possible things could change.  We changed the length of the clubs at one point too, and that had a pretty dramatic effect on the courses already created.

thanks for that pitching wedge and short irons change,  i really wanted that!

i can live with not being able to drive as far as i can irl, but the 95 yard pw was killing me!

Hawk Eye

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:23 AM »
Any course made in early access should be made with the understanding that it is possible things could change.
? Was Little Brook Manor  or any made by HB as these courses are the ones most used and the courses  played by any one new to the game.

Leaves me thinking HB will have little option than to give all wind settings available to Course design in the GNCD at least ? if not in the game as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:34:06 AM by Hawk Eye »

Hawk Eye

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 04:53:07 AM »

thanks for that pitching wedge and short irons change,  i really wanted that!

i can live with not being able to drive as far as i can irl, but the 95 yard pw was killing me!
Taste , it`s not a question of how far you can hit a drive, it`s a question of courses being un playable now due to the wind change, ie: the carry distance over water or other factors , I can remember you saying ? you set 235 or 245 yds to allow for wind, can we hit a carry of 235 to 245 into a 13 mph wind.

At the end of the day I suppose it makes little difference, as lots of courses need deleting, courses made before the new Fairway, Rough shaping tool, now look very bland.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:05:23 AM by Hawk Eye »

HB_LorinB

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 07:23:13 AM »
Any course made in early access should be made with the understanding that it is possible things could change.
? Was Little Brook Manor  or any made by HB as these courses are the ones most used and the courses  played by any one new to the game.

Leaves me thinking HB will have little option than to give all wind settings available to Course design in the GNCD at least ? if not in the game as well.

It is incumbent upon us to make sure the official courses released with the game play right with the new wind...and we will.  So no need to worry about that, Hawk.

As for the wind in the creator, I have it noted that it is at 1 mph hour in the creator right now and, when the team has a moment, we will look at this.

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 11:14:25 AM »
my two cents on the wind is that it needs to calm more often.  after many games under my belt since the last update,  I feel the wind has been dialed up too much and too often.   
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

space-cash