course designer crashing on save option

• 14 Replies

Dox

« on: August 08, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
I have always tried to use the just save option after a couple changes or just getting something that looks good. In the past few days it has frozen my computer(about 2-3 times) when selecting save.
Have been using the creator since late April and never encountered this issue. Not a big deal, but figured it was worth mentioning since it's new(for me at least).
Completed courses:
Aspinwall Motor Speedway Golf Course
Foxhurst Valley
Ashford Pines Golf Club
Ashford Pines Golf Club - Members
Ashford Pines Golf Club - Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198116348594

HB_LorinB

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »
Hey Dox -

Can you attach your output logs the next time this occurs, per this thread?  http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=1368.0

Dox

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »
I didn't start up the game again since the crash. This is the one that just happened this morning.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:00:19 PM by Dox »
Completed courses:
Aspinwall Motor Speedway Golf Course
Foxhurst Valley
Ashford Pines Golf Club
Ashford Pines Golf Club - Members
Ashford Pines Golf Club - Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198116348594

HB_LorinB

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
I did mean here Dox..sorry if that wasn't clear..heehee.  I linked to this thread in our Bug Report databse for reference when chasing down the issue.

Thanks for posting those!

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »
Just to add my two cents guys,   yesterday when I was randomly saving my course in the creator it was crashing every time as well..   The only way I could save was using the save and exit option... Maybe this is why my course is so corrupt lorin?
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
Just to add my two cents guys,   yesterday when I was randomly saving my course in the creator it was crashing every time as well..   The only way I could save was using the save and exit option... Maybe this is why my course is so corrupt lorin?

That shouldn't have an effect on an already published course.

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »

Sorry I think my comments were confusing.. What I meant was I kept trying to save my progress and it was crashing yesterday, and then finally after all the crashing and trying to save my course I went ahead and published...  What I was saying was that before I published I was trying to save my course and it kept crashing in the middle of the save...     I was only using logic when coming to a possible conclusion that one of the crashed saves corrupted my course before I published it.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »

Sorry I think my comments were confusing.. What I meant was I kept trying to save my progress and it was crashing yesterday, and then finally after all the crashing and trying to save my course I went ahead and published...  What I was saying was that before I published I was trying to save my course and it kept crashing in the middle of the save...     I was only using logic when coming to a possible conclusion that one of the crashed saves corrupted my course before I published it.

That makes sense and could well be the issue.  We will check it out.  Does it play messed up like this in the course creator too?

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »

That makes sense and could well be the issue.  We will check it out.  Does it play messed up like this in the course creator too?

yes it does play wonky in the course creator as well.   please let me know what you guys figure out because I'm a bit embarresed by it.    my idea was to get feedback so i can improve it but in its current state its hard to critique and enjoy.    thanks lorin.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 01:36:47 PM »
Hey johneric...I am curious..have you tried changing one small thing on the course then re-saving with a new name, then playing the "new course in the course creator to see if it still does this? 

If it plays the same in the course creator as it is playing in the published version, then I would definitely say the course file is corrupt.  And if changing and re-saving doesn't fix the issue...then I am not sure what else could be done.

Lostsooner

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
Not sure if this is the place, but i currently can not create a course. Once i name it, it would not let me save.

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »
Hey johneric...I am curious..have you tried changing one small thing on the course then re-saving with a new name, then playing the "new course in the course creator to see if it still does this? 

If it plays the same in the course creator as it is playing in the published version, then I would definitely say the course file is corrupt.  And if changing and re-saving doesn't fix the issue...then I am not sure what else could be done.

I just tried this again today and no dice...    It's just my luck to be the only guy to spend tons of time on a course to end up with a corrupt file -(
Is there anything that can be done to retrieve the old file by chance?  I'm pretty sure the answer is no considering that the unpublished file was housed on my PC correct?

Man this is upsetting news to say the least...   Would it at least be possible to get one the the guys up and the studio to look at the course in the creator and give their two cents?

HB_LorinB

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »

I just tried this again today and no dice...    It's just my luck to be the only guy to spend tons of time on a course to end up with a corrupt file -(
Is there anything that can be done to retrieve the old file by chance?  I'm pretty sure the answer is no considering that the unpublished file was housed on my PC correct?

Man this is upsetting news to say the least...   Would it at least be possible to get one the the guys up and the studio to look at the course in the creator and give their two cents?

You are correct.  It lives locally and when you save it, it overwrites the previous version.

I can't imagine what we would find by looking at it...but I am happy to ask.  But I really don't think we would be able to until next week, just so you know...maybe even middle of.  We are just nose to the grindstone right now.  I am sorry John...I know this sucks.

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 02:25:50 PM »
Thanks Lorin I appreciate you guys looking into it.

I do want to pass on some crazy information though.       I went into the course editor and opened up the corrupted course and flattened everything out completely and it fixed the issue.   So, what I'm thinking is because of my extreme elevations and crazy hills and towering cliffs,   I think I may of pushed the creator to its limits with some of my editing.   

So basically what I'm saying is,   I'm going to flatten this course out and add a few little things a release it again I guess because after flattening it has a unique look to it that a designer most likely wouldn't  of chosen if creating on flat land.

I'm going to chalk up the issue to my crazy design I guess...

zx12

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 04:18:52 AM »
The save function was always a bit slow but as of last night mine does not work,there is no confirmation pop up dialogbox as there was prior to the last update,workin with the GNCD in a windowed mode you can shrink the game to the systray and save the course file manually,some thing i'am just trying.

space-cash