Slow load times when playing with friends

• 3 Replies

Rockfisch

« on: August 22, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
I have a group of guys that play together.  We really enjoy enabling turn play and watch each other taking shots.

There is a very large delay from the time that the player takes his shot to the time that the other players see it.  Its 15 to 20 seconds.

This not only takes away from the fun of being able to comment on a persons shot as they take it (which is so much fun to watch someone make a great shot or give them a hard time for screwing up) it also makes the time spent in a round take way to long.  Think about it, 15 seconds per stroke your waiting, for every stroke that is taken in the round x4 if you have that many players playing in the round. 

I was wondering if this is a known issue and if/when it will be addressed?

P.S. I just did the math, if you have 4 players with a 15 second delay, and each did 70 shots, that is 70 minutes of 18 holes that you are waiting on the delay.  Were not that good so were looking closer to 90 minutes of time in the round waiting for other players character to take their swing after they had done the action. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:14:39 AM by Rockfisch »

HB_LorinB

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »
This occurs by design, Rockfish.  Though, typically it is more like 5-10 seconds, however.  Internet connections, VPS, etc can all extend that time.

However, because of the current implementation of MP, it records one person's shot, uploads it to the server, then downloads it to every one else. That is the delay you are seeing.  To rectify this, we will need to implement a lobby-based multiplayer system, which is something we are already looking at doing in the future.

Hope that helps.

Rockfisch

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »
Thanks for the response and glad to hear its in the works.  I know you guys have been working your tails off and have many more things on your plate.  Just good to know that it could happen in the future :)

MLT24

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 05:06:27 PM »
This occurs by design, Rockfish.  Though, typically it is more like 5-10 seconds, however.  Internet connections, VPS, etc can all extend that time.

However, because of the current implementation of MP, it records one person's shot, uploads it to the server, then downloads it to every one else. That is the delay you are seeing.  To rectify this, we will need to implement a lobby-based multiplayer system, which is something we are already looking at doing in the future.

Hope that helps.
;D ;D ;D ;D

space-cash