Graphics blurrier since patch?

• 21 Replies

BikerTox

« on: October 10, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »
Just played my first round since the patch and it seems to my eyes, that at address, the graphics at about 125 yards and beyond, are blurrier than before the patch. Anbody else?

I hope  I am wrong but I can't help wonder if HB used lower res textures, or something, to improve performance. My heart doesn't want to believe it but it just seems blurrier than before and just looks bad. No, I am not drinking... yet.

banjobowling

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
I haven't updated my xb1 version yet....maybe depth of field setting your observing?

HB_LorinB

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:15:31 PM »
We absolutely did not use lower res texture, or lower anything, in the game.

Shardak

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 05:19:52 PM »
Its not Depth of Field...it does look very blurry like the textures themselves have changed.  Trees look like they are using very low-res textures.  Its like even the trees that are close up look like they are using the "far away" low res textures.

I dont believe how bad it looks, and how poorly the game plays.  I just fired it up, first day I have played it on Xbox One since launch.  The patch has made it worse.

I just tried to play one of the new "official" courses, Black Brook.  It is unplayable.  10-15fps, trees look terrible (not that anything else matters at this framerate).

Sorry HB, this is unacceptable.  The game should be pulled from the store IMO.  I have a hard time believing Microsoft would allow this game to be sold, it makes their hardware look bad.  I will stick with PC version.

I hope The Golf Club 2 works out.  My 2 cents for the next version, use a different game engine, or render only one hole at a time if you cant get 1080p/60.

Video of what I am seeing.  (yes I know its hard to make out how terrible the framerate is and how bad the textures look from a video of a TV screen)

http://youtu.be/TZBQN57VPiw

Lout Of Order

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
Its not Depth of Field...it does look very blurry like the textures themselves have changed.  Trees look like they are using very low-res textures.  Its like even the trees that are close up look like they are using the "far away" low res textures.

I dont believe how bad it looks, and how poorly the game plays.  I just fired it up, first day I have played it on Xbox One since launch.  The patch has made it worse.

I just tried to play one of the new "official" courses, Black Brook.  It is unplayable.  10-15fps, trees look terrible (not that anything else matters at this framerate).

Sorry HB, this is unacceptable.  The game should be pulled from the store IMO.  I have a hard time believing Microsoft would allow this game to be sold, it makes their hardware look bad.  I will stick with PC version.

I hope The Golf Club 2 works out.  My 2 cents for the next version, use a different game engine, or render only one hole at a time if you cant get 1080p/60.

Video of what I am seeing.  (yes I know its hard to make out how terrible the framerate is and how bad the textures look from a video of a TV screen)

http://youtu.be/TZBQN57VPiw

What about if you record a clip via Upload Studio and the upload it to Youtube, I'd be interested to see those results as it wouldn't matter how your TV is displaying it then, you would get a true representation I believe.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
If they used a bit more antialiasing, it will take some of the sharpness out of the lines that were more vivid without it, making them now look softer, and perhaps contributing to what you're now seeing as 'blurriness'.  I picked up on the 'blurriness' on the first tee after booting the game up, and studied it pretty carefully.  I had taken some mental notes of things to look for post-patch and the tee box cut lines, the golfer's pant legs, the club shafts all look smoother now, but because of that, they aren't as distinct and probably look blurry in comparison. 

I prefer what we've got now to jaggies, but it's still lagging well behind the looks of the PS4 version at 1080p.  I think if they can get the XB1 up to 900p - and I suspect they will - it will cure a lot of ills.  I think it would definitely sharpen up this up to a point it would be even more distinct that before.   
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

BikerTox

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 05:39:10 PM »
We absolutely did not use lower res texture, or lower anything, in the game.

Ok. I believe you, but I sure am having problems seeing landing areas with any clarity.

AJ 1PCO

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 06:45:06 PM »
I have to agree, the update has blurred the game, I've checked all my settings, they are fine, I'm sure you will fix it but til then I won't be playing it as it gives me a headache.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »
I have to agree, the update has blurred the game, I've checked all my settings, they are fine, I'm sure you will fix it but til then I won't be playing it as it gives me a headache.

I took another look at this later today, using a course that I had just played on the PC, TGC Players Club at Shawnee Creek (one of the two "10" ratings I've given, BTW).  My thinking was this was a course that is an immaculately balanced design, and was created after the "Object Limit" was imposed on the PC version of TGC.  It shouldn't struggle frame rate wise and I know what it looks like under good conditions.  Well, it didn't struggle frame rate wise, but I think I've spotted what's going on with blurry graphics.  It appears to me that the distance to the DOF blurring effect has been shortened from the previous version.  Trees that are only 40 yards away appear to be blurred to close to the same degree as those that are 240 yards away.

I'm not a fan of the DOF effect on the PC version and I've been disabling it from the first .1 build during closed beta testing.  What's ironic about DOF is that when it's enabled, it winds up being a performance hit on the PC, or at least my PC.  I can turn it off and get a frame rate improvement of 2 to 5 fps, depending on what resolution I was using.  I also found that I like the looks of the game better with it disabled.  Yes, I might be seeing objects that are 300 yards away with greater clarity than I should, but I think when DOF is enabled in the game, it tends to over-do the blurring, even before the patch.

I wish console gamers had the option to turn of DOF, like the PC version players have.  I'd be very curious to see what affect turning it off would have in the XB1 and PS4 versions.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 03:55:33 AM »
Here is why 1080p is a must.  It's really make it or break it when you can barely see the hole during actual play vs the menu screen

It's not that the game is more blurry than before but rather that the resolution is too low to see what we are intended to see now that some of the choppiness has been fixed/removed in this patch.

FYI this is from an Official Course. Little Brook Manor

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 03:57:13 AM »

I took another look at this later today, using a course that I had just played on the PC, TGC Players Club at Shawnee Creek (one of the two "10" ratings I've given, BTW).  My thinking was this was a course that is an immaculately balanced design, and was created after the "Object Limit" was imposed on the PC version of TGC.  It shouldn't struggle frame rate wise and I know what it looks like under good conditions.  Well, it didn't struggle frame rate wise, but I think I've spotted what's going on with blurry graphics.  It appears to me that the distance to the DOF blurring effect has been shortened from the previous version.  Trees that are only 40 yards away appear to be blurred to close to the same degree as those that are 240 yards away.

I'm not a fan of the DOF effect on the PC version and I've been disabling it from the first .1 build during closed beta testing.  What's ironic about DOF is that when it's enabled, it winds up being a performance hit on the PC, or at least my PC.  I can turn it off and get a frame rate improvement of 2 to 5 fps, depending on what resolution I was using.  I also found that I like the looks of the game better with it disabled.  Yes, I might be seeing objects that are 300 yards away with greater clarity than I should, but I think when DOF is enabled in the game, it tends to over-do the blurring, even before the patch.

I wish console gamers had the option to turn of DOF, like the PC version players have.  I'd be very curious to see what affect turning it off would have in the XB1 and PS4 versions.

I think you've identified the problem
1080p and other graphical changes are a must on Xbox one. Sorry HBS but this is a deal breaker for golf if you can't see the hole, read the greens without the grid or see slopes, breaks, etc
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:25:41 AM by NewBlacksmurf »

BestwoodRoadie

• Notts County Golf Society
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 07:02:33 AM »
Which begs the question ........ have HBS gone as far as they can ???, because i read a while back that 1080 (whatever that is !!!) was not available for this game, not sure who from though, but it was an official reply.

Since reading this thread i have took more notice and i believe you are right about the clarity of what we are seeing, i went through my other games to check how they perform and it is a different world with regards how you can see the games, far far superior to what i am seeing in TGC, which looks like an arcade game in comparison. I read from that Rick guy, who is quite clued up, he says that TGC is a PC game that happens to work on the xbone, not very inspiring.

In all honesty i am quite surprised that MS allow this to be on their all singing, all dancing system, because anyone in passing and seeing how TGC plays would think that it an 80's system that we are playing on.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:05:19 AM by BestwoodRoadie »

rustymike12

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 07:44:38 AM »
Which begs the question ........ have HBS gone as far as they can ???, because i read a while back that 1080 (whatever that is !!!) was not available for this game, not sure who from though, but it was an official reply.

Since reading this thread i have took more notice and i believe you are right about the clarity of what we are seeing, i went through my other games to check how they perform and it is a different world with regards how you can see the games, far far superior to what i am seeing in TGC, which looks like an arcade game in comparison. I read from that Rick guy, who is quite clued up, he says that TGC is a PC game that happens to work on the xbone, not very inspiring.

In all honesty i am quite surprised that MS allow this to be on their all singing, all dancing system, because anyone in passing and seeing how TGC plays would think that it an 80's system that we are playing on.

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=6986.msg71414#msg71414

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:52:29 AM by rustymike12 »

Windows  Home Premium
SP1
64 bit O/S

Intel i5-2500k @ 3.30GHz Quad
16.0GB RAM

MSI Radeon R9 290
4GB GDDR5

OnBoard Intel HD Graphics 3000

3x ACER 27" LED
1 Dell S2409 24"
1 10" Generic LCD

BestwoodRoadie

• Notts County Golf Society
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 08:21:18 AM »
Read your link, and if the point you are making is that work is in progress, that is what i have already said.

But it does not alter the fact as to how the game is looking & playing at this moment, if it wasn't for the great game play that TGC has succeeded in making, which is carrying a lot of goodwill on part of us, the consumers, i think it would have been abandoned within a week of release.

As said,i am am not having a go at any employee at HBS,but if this 1080 thing cannot be achieved it is not in line with all other games on the xbone.

BikerTox

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »
Yes. Depth of field is probably it, rather than lower res.

Lorin. Please ask the developers to switch the DoF back to how it was pre-patch. Even better as a previous poster said, allow us to enable or disable it ourselves.

Note. If it is not DoF but rather some other graphics trickery, change it back because this is a step in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:12:07 PM by BikerTox »

space-cash