Driver Accuracy Tweaks

• 62 Replies

Ian

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2014, 07:26:50 AM »
I think that it's more with the ease that you can hit straight drives and iron shots that's the issue for me.
If you can get to within the set distances for pitch shots, that's too easy also, which is why I wish that there wasn't an option for pitch and chip shots. Use the normal swing but have the ability to alter: ball position, stance and grip, club head angle and swing speed.

tastegw

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »
Tweak to Driver accuracy
I'd like to take the current accuracy cone and split it into 3. 

Green
A sliver of green (think one or two pixels left and right of perfectly straight) that hits ball at marker. 

Yellow
Next a section of yellow that if hit pushes the ball left/right enough to flirt with pushing ball 10-15 yards away from your aim. 

Red
The rest would be red - hit this and you will draw/fade 20+ yards from aim. 

Complete Miss
Miss the red and you get severe hook/slice.

Note
I'd also endorse using this as an option (like grids on/off)

I've hit many shots on the extreme edge of the red cone and had it land safely in the fairway.  As it is, it's pretty customary for me to get up and just wail away at the drive while thinking about the approach shot - since the drive always ends up in the fairway (almost always I suppose!).  Would be nice to have one of the more difficult aspects of my real game require more concentration/precision in TGC.

it already acts this way to a degree doyley.

Greenpants

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »
Lorin have you had success in green reading? I tried it and cannot tell a difference on the breaks. I ended up hitting at the hole every time and hoping for the best. On a side note, the putting camera preference is broken on pc. It defaults to what you're using as the regular shot camera.   

HB_LorinB

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »
Lorin have you had success in green reading? I tried it and cannot tell a difference on the breaks. I ended up hitting at the hole every time and hoping for the best. On a side note, the putting camera preference is broken on pc. It defaults to what you're using as the regular shot camera.

It depends on what you mean by success...lol.  But, yes...I have.  Yes, there are times when I just can not tell...but I would say that 85-90% of the time I am able to nicely set myself up fort a two-putt.  Putts under 10-12 feet I generally make...and, occasionally, I make one from further and feel really good!

BruceM

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
Myself I don't need it any harder using a PS4. Its difficult enough already, but I suppose I'm in the minority here. With the wind and a lot of fast greens its pretty difficult(for me at least) just to make par.
 Are we going to make it so difficult that average players such as myself, won't find the game enjoyable any longer ?
Theres always two sides to a story.

nate94gt

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »
Myself I don't need it any harder using a PS4. Its difficult enough already, but I suppose I'm in the minority here. With the wind and a lot of fast greens its pretty difficult(for me at least) just to make par.
 Are we going to make it so difficult that average players such as myself, won't find the game enjoyable any longer ?

its hard for me, too (ps4).  Sure, i can rattle off a round at -9 or so, but i can also turn around and shoot +5.

ralphieboy72

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
It is going to be tough with one difficulty level to please everyone.

I do play most of my rounds with the green grids off.  I feel like it's the best way to play this game.  I will try to play more with the scout cam off but as others have mentioned I don't think it really gets to the bottom of things.

It all comes back to the red cone that Doyley mentioned in the OP for me.  I'm just guessing but I would say with a stock PS4 controller I have a swing outside the cone maybe once in around 200 shots.  It may take me more than 200!  Now I rarely get a completely straight line, but I'm talking about outside the cone with a really poor swing.  This one poor swing is usually on a drive because the cone is somewhat smaller.  I honestly can't remember a time where I hit an iron shot and the line was outside the cone.  Maybe in the first weeks when I was trying the beta??

To show I'm not asking for Shanksville all over the place, I would be happy if the sensitivity was such that I could get just a couple of these poor shots in one round.  I don't know how that is achieved.  Making the cone smaller would seem to help with this.  I also like the idea of tempo having more to do with the direction of your shot.  I think it would make the game better for the more skilled player.

Nightowl

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »
The final score is beside the point.  It is how it is achieved that matters to me.  Turning off the visual aids may result in poorer scores; but it will not change the fact that (at least for some of us) the swing mechanism is too forgiving.  How does the FIR% in the game measure up to real life?  From what I've seen (for myself and many others), the %-age is at or above the best of the best on the PGA Tour.  In other words, this aspect of the game is not even close to feeling authentic.  Again, to repeat what ralphie said, it's not that we want to spray all our shots left and right.  Just once in a while would be nice.  :)

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »

I hear you Bruce - and it's why I suggested it be an option.

ajl5313

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
I think that it's more with the ease that you can hit straight drives and iron shots that's the issue for me.
If you can get to within the set distances for pitch shots, that's too easy also, which is why I wish that there wasn't an option for pitch and chip shots. Use the normal swing but have the ability to alter: ball position, stance and grip, club head angle and swing speed.

This.

It's just too easy to actually perform a straight shot (has nothing to do with aiming aids)

ajl5313

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 01:45:50 PM »
I guess what's happened with the way the game was made (in terms of swing difficulty) is I'm no longer getting any satisfaction (and benefit in terms of accuracy and distance) from actually executing a really great shot.

The "really great shot" is just happening way too easily and thus it feels like, as mentioned above, "autopilot golf" for 2/3 of the shots of each hole.

Nightowl

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
That's a good way to describe it, turbine.  Too much reward for the little effort it takes to hit a relatively straight shot. 

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »
If its too easy on the consoles, try to play with a mouse.....
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

ajl5313

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
If its too easy on the consoles, try to play with a mouse.....

On a console? 

Also, I find the mouse implementation to be pretty bad in this game (on PC) relative to games throughout the years that have had mouse swing.  Not a viable option to me.

Nightowl

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »
Finally, after not playing TGC for over a month, I fired it up.  I played Wendy's latest course (a real gem!) and shot an 80 (incl. +5 on hole 11).  I lacked the touch for the short game and for putting.  But driving the ball?  I hit every fairway but one (where I got a bad hop and rolled about 4-5 ft. off the fairway).  BTW, I had double-digit wind speeds for most of the round.  As I've said before, the only part of TGC that needs improvement is driving accuracy.  I have no trouble hitting 100% every time.  I seldom if ever swing outside the cone.  And even when I'm at the edge of the cone, I'm not penalized much at all. 

Also, I watched a Twitchcast last night.  I never got the impression that the player was worried about missing a fairway.  It was almost automatic.  I noticed the ghost ball he was playing against missed one fairway.  That was it, I think, for either player.  I'm surprised more people have not commented on this part of the game.  I don't know who's missing fairways on a regular basis.  It sure doesn't happen to me (or to the ghost balls that I've seen).

space-cash