Fairway markers off

• 10 Replies

Greenpants

« on: November 19, 2014, 11:39:17 AM »
So this is a bit hard to explain but the fairway markers are off. It appears that they measure the distance between each other as opposed to true distance from tee down fairway to green. This becomes most obvious when they zigzag significantly. There was a par 3 on one of the newer official courses where the result was a reading of over 150 yards to the front edge of the green but 148 yards to the flag.

In that instance the 148 wound up being correct as the zig zag of the markers resulted in extra distance being added.

anserman

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
The to the pin measurement is straight line measurement

The "hole" yardage is along the fairway marker so often longer.

Cheagles

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:27:40 PM »
^ Thanks ADX

anserman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »
Fwiw this is how it is in real life and this is something the game does very well.

SKREC

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:44:28 PM »
one thing that does need to be changed is the yardage markers in the overhead view they show distance from the tee instead of distance to middle of green

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:05:49 PM »
Would even be better to give them both (from T and to center (or entrance) of the green), maybe selectable?
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

anserman

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 09:06:45 PM »
one thing that does need to be changed is the yardage markers in the overhead view they show distance from the tee instead of distance to middle of green

They do that on purpose actually.  I wanted it to work more like a GPS or something too

SKREC

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 12:16:39 AM »

They do that on purpose actually.  I wanted it to work more like a GPS or something too

seems kind of stupid to do it like that I can't think of any course that has their distance markers showing distances from the tee, those are for the driving range.. plus if they did this properly they could have the option to turn the distance to the pin info off (or tie it to the overhead cam) along with scout cam and have a bit of a more realistic experience. as of right now the overhead view is kind of useless.

some of these design decisions kind of make you scratch your head  ;)

I gave up on trying to suggest that the overhead view be turned into a more useful and realistic GPS view
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:20:05 AM by SKREC »

Cheagles

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
You don't think the Overview is good for seeing the layout of the hole?  I like the birds eye view

anserman

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »
You don't think the Overview is good for seeing the layout of the hole?  I like the birds eye view

nooooo I like the overview

What I'd rather it do is be dynamic... it doesn't matter that I know half the measurements of the hole once my tee shot has been hit I wanna know info based on my new location.

Like a GPS or a rangefinder.  I'm assuming you guys are doing it this way to make it more "difficult" but it doesn't really do that.  I can legally carry a skycaddie and get the exact yardage I need to hit it to a layup... this game should do that as well and not make it an exercise in "math".

I can do the math easily... but would rather the overhead reflect the modern game of golf and not a yardage book stuck in back pocket one.  Technology is big in golf now... I never hit a shot I don't know the distances on unless I just choose to ignore the help that is available according to the rules of golf.

Jared

• Measure twice and cut once
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »

nooooo I like the overview

What I'd rather it do is be dynamic... it doesn't matter that I know half the measurements of the hole once my tee shot has been hit I wanna know info based on my new location.

Like a GPS or a rangefinder.  I'm assuming you guys are doing it this way to make it more "difficult" but it doesn't really do that.  I can legally carry a skycaddie and get the exact yardage I need to hit it to a layup... this game should do that as well and not make it an exercise in "math".

I can do the math easily... but would rather the overhead reflect the modern game of golf and not a yardage book stuck in back pocket one.  Technology is big in golf now... I never hit a shot I don't know the distances on unless I just choose to ignore the help that is available according to the rules of golf.

+1   This is how feel exactly.
My Courses:

Guid Donner
The Club at Horseshoe Lake
The Club@Horseshoe Lake Members

space-cash