turn based is still broken guys.

• 25 Replies

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:23:27 AM »
was playing tastegw 's new Asian course yesterday and noticed erniethewells was playing live so he messaged me and waited on the 4th tee so that we could play turnbased.      once I arrived we both turned it on.   I could see him take his shots but he couldn't see me.      we then proceeded to both exit the game and meet again where we left off and give it a go again.   this time he could see me but I couldnt see him.    we tried everrything from deleting rival,   adding rival, etc......    finally after a few holes it decided to sink up.      bottom line guys is multiplayer is just not near stable enough at this point and it needs  some serious attention because we wasted at least 30 minutes trying to get it to work.

that  to me is the golf clubs multiplayer issues in a nutshell.    there was a perfect oppurtunity for me and a friend to have a nice round but the game just wasn't going to afford us the priveledge for whatever reason.     of course hbs knows full well of the multiplayers weaknesses but I would expect turn based to at least function hopefully in the near future .....      it works most of the time but when it doesn't its pretty bad.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

Cheagles

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
Hey Johneric, we certainly are aware of the syncing issues with turn based.  Starting a course late after someone has already begun and then trying to sync can sometimes be troublesome, but we're still working on it when we can.  Joining up on hole 1 and starting the turn order from the start should run quite smoothly.  It's still on our list to continue work to on.

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »
Hey Johneric, we certainly are aware of the syncing issues with turn based.  Starting a course late after someone has already begun and then trying to sync can sometimes be troublesome, but we're still working on it when we can.  Joining up on hole 1 and starting the turn order from the start should run quite smoothly.  It's still on our list to continue work to on.

thanks man.   if you guys implement a lobby system I'm assuming turn based won't get much attention which I get.      but,    turn based is a good option especially for moments like I described.       

this game really will benefit once there is an easier option to play live competion and I'm hopeful hbs stays the course and makes this happen as planned.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

Shooterhl

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
It seems like when my buddy's and I attempt to play turn base,  something always goes wrong.  Turn base is the way we have played for years with the likes of tiger woods.  This is the only way we like to play .  Either one or two players are unable to see someone.  Most of the time it work well for the first two holes and then goes to crap.  This is just getting old.

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
It seems like when my buddy's and I attempt to play turn base,  something always goes wrong.  Turn base is the way we have played for years with the likes of tiger woods.  This is the only way we like to play .  Either one or two players are unable to see someone.  Most of the time it work well for the first two holes and then goes to crap.  This is just getting old.

hbs has come to the conclusion that with their research ,  they have found that only a small percentage play online so they are putting their focus on a handicap system and career mode.    they say that a better multiplayer /lobby might be coming in the future but there are no guarantees.     

you're right though,   turn based  ghost play works okay but its not great and it typically messes up several times every round.    everytime I use it I seem to have to turn the turn based option on and off or even leave the game all together to get it to sync back up.

quite honestly I dont even report these things as bugs anymore because it really never gets fixed.....  ive given up on being vocal in regards to the turnbased bugs.

Zmax

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 12:36:55 PM »
Interesting.   Turn based worked ok(not great) for us Simulator users(ProTee Server) until the week before Xmas.  A day after update 2 came out, it all went to hell.  Courses not showing up, sync issues mid round, live players not showing up after waiting forever on the first tee.  Player can show up on one player's game but not the other.  One time, a player didn't become available in Change Rivals/Friends Live until the 16th hole.

This has been reported to ProTee of course.  The Lobby can't come soon enough.  And we have no need for in game handicap system nor career mode.

craig118

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »

hbs has come to the conclusion that with their research ,  they have found that only a small percentage play online so they are putting their focus on a handicap system and career mode.    they say that a better multiplayer /lobby might be coming in the future but there are no guarantees.     

you're right though,   turn based  ghost play works okay but its not great and it typically messes up several times every round.    everytime I use it I seem to have to turn the turn based option on and off or even leave the game all together to get it to sync back up.

quite honestly I dont even report these things as bugs anymore because it really never gets fixed.....  ive given up on being vocal in regards to the turnbased bugs.

If this is true then is troubling news for us Protee users. We start on the first tee during our online rounds and have sync issues just about every round. My understanding was a improved method was in the works with "The Lobby". Is that even something HB is working on? Guess I don't understand the emphasis on Career mode or HDCP system while there are so many bugs with online play with other people. Was hoping Protee version would get some love for this issue soon.  (and a Practice mode, and a functional mini map, and customizable clubs... which are also dearly needed). The way things look we are only going to get  updates that the Console/PC version gets.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:24:52 PM by craig118 »
Whistling Straits
Pine Valley
Inverness Club

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »

If this is true then is troubling news for us Protee users. We start on the first tee during our online rounds and have sync issues just about every round. My understanding was a improved method was in the works with "The Lobby". Is that even something HB is working on? Guess I don't understand the emphasis on Career mode or HDCP system while there are so many bugs with online play with other people. Was hoping Protee version would get some love for this issue soon.  (and a Practice mode, and a functional mini map, and customizable clubs... which are also dearly needed). The way things look we are only going to get  updates that the Console/PC version gets.

I don't know anything about Protee, but I do know that I can answer your question about the emphasis on career mode or the handicap system...   HBS believe that a career mode and handicap system is what the majority wants and needs in this game so they have devised their update schedule accordingly.    They believe the reason you hear about lobbies and the lack thereof on the forums more is because guys that use lobbies are more likely to be online stressing their opinions because career mode type players don't frequent the forums as much...    I'm a huge supporter of HBS but I disagree with this way of thinking...  I believe video games and the way we share them with each other is changing by the second and I'm of the opinion they really need to get it in sooner than later...

Shooterhl

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 03:05:01 PM »
I don't understand what is the fun of playing golf by yourself.  If the multiplayer  worked this would be a great game.  Not to mention sales would increase.  All I here is there is only 10% or so of the people that play turn base.  Maybe because it doesn't work the way it should would be my answer to that.  A dedicated server would be the answer to the problem.  I still find it hard to believe  that most of the people would rather play by themselves.   

J3Y 7E9

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »
 I can't figure out why some people have problems with turn based multiplayer. I use it on the PS4 and on the XB1, just about every day and everything is fine. In fact, the only times there is a hitch, it's because the problem is behind the controller...most of the time, ME...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PSN: J3Y7E9
No training wheels Society

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
I can't figure out why some people have problems with turn based multiplayer. I use it on the PS4 and on the XB1, just about every day and everything is fine. In fact, the only times there is a hitch, it's because the problem is behind the controller...most of the time, ME...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I played one of my first turn based rounds on the ps4 with wirenut the other night and it was riddled with issues and we had exit out and re enable turn based at least 6 or 7 times...   The problem with turn based is lots of us use it with chat and there is about a 4 to 8 second delay, so it really does zap all the fun out of it in regards to seeing things unfold in real time...    It really is a big deal for it to be in real time for me at least...  It's so much fun to watch things as they really unfold and react accordingly.

Acrilix

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 05:09:54 PM »
90%+ of my play in TGC has been turn based multiplayer in the past - either 2 or 3 player. There have always been the occasional problems with syncing but since update 2 it seems much worse. We've now started playing with turn enabled off and just decide turns over Skype. I actually prefer it this way now as I see everyone's shots from my own perspective. I can also be preparing my next shot while waiting for others to play. This makes our rounds much quicker now, especially as I play no-grid, so putting takes more prep time.
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

HB_LorinB

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 05:15:53 PM »
Hey guys - thank you for sharing this.  As soon as the guys are back in the studio I will point this one out.

craig118

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »
HB please fix turn base. It takes us 2-3 hrs to play 18 holes on Protee. Usually we end up playing alone after losing sync with playing partner.
Whistling Straits
Pine Valley
Inverness Club

Cheagles

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »
Hey all thanks for the reports, as you can see the turn based system seems to work well for some and not so well for others.  With the updates and patches we are planning, turn based will get some attention and hopefully will be a smooth experience for you all.  We apologize that there are still some issues popping up.  When you try to catch up to someone and then sync the turn based, it seems to cause the most issues, so for now I recommend starting up on the first tee together with your friend, switch Turn Order ON, and wait until you are on each others scorecards until you begin. 

space-cash