Bad FPS rate on new update

• 33 Replies

Lout Of Order

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 06:10:48 AM »
OK well I've just tried to play a round on one of the new courses. Graphically the game looks no better and there are horrible flickering effects all over it.

I lasted 3 holes before I couldn't take any more - this game is just horrible for a latest generation piece of software.

Bitterly disappointed in the way this game has panned out, I remember being super excited when the game was announced, then buying it as soon as it was released to be underwhelmed to say the least. But I kept the faith because the staff here are nothing short of exceptional with their community interaction and the promise was for continued updates and graphical improvements.

The truth however is that any questions specific to graphics or FPS are ignored and there don't seem to be any concrete plans to improve these. Hardly surprising, the game has been coded and would require a substantial amount of work to essentially remaster it.

I don't see it happening, and unfortunately I'm now stuck with a digital game that I can't even offload for a couple of quid towards something else.

J3Y 7E9

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 08:00:08 AM »
I don't really see any graphical improvement BUT FPS is better for PS4 and XB1, at my end. Valero and Isla Madeleine (original version) were unplayable on both consoles and now they are much better.

Despite reading what HB posted about it, I still have no clue about the handicap system, not that I care much about it.
PSN: J3Y7E9
No training wheels Society

steelereign

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Not sure what all the graphical fuss is about.   It looks and plays just fine for me.   It's not real golf so I don't expect it to be an absolute perfect representation of what I see on a real golf course.   

Don't know what others expectations were but I'm still loving TGC and will for a long time.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

fljon

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
Not sure what all the graphical fuss is about.   It looks and plays just fine for me.   It's not real golf so I don't expect it to be an absolute perfect representation of what I see on a real golf course.   

Don't know what others expectations were but I'm still loving TGC and will for a long time.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Yup...agree 100%

Xaviray

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »
Graphics seem slightly clearer, frame rate def improved on the courses i have played. Plus the improvements in the course designer inc the raise the tee option phew so glad lol. Dont know how people dont notice frame rate improvement

ISAWTHAT

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »
This was 4 months ago.  Still nowhere near this, even after all the updates.  Here is a quote from HBS below, as well as the article it came from.

Furthermore, LorinB stated,  "PS4 version of The Golf Club runs at 30-40 FPS, whereas Xbox One version runs at 30-45 FPS". LorinB clarifies

http://www.gamepur.com/news/15829-golf-club-runs-1080p-ps4-and-720p-xbox-one-couldnt-get-fps-we-wanted-higher.html
XBOX GT:  SndFreak64

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
This was 4 months ago.  Still nowhere near this, even after all the updates.  Here is a quote from HBS below, as well as the article it came from.

Furthermore, LorinB stated,  "PS4 version of The Golf Club runs at 30-40 FPS, whereas Xbox One version runs at 30-45 FPS". LorinB clarifies

Unfortunately, it's easy to play loose with the numbers where frame rates are concerned with this game.  I have no doubt in my mind that these are the numbers I'd see if I had a frame rate tool for my PS4 and XB1 when playing Acrilix's brilliantly designed Crowley Island.  It's a links theme course that isn't loaded with obects.  The frame rate performance there is a big part of what makes it such a fun track to play for me.

Then you've got other wonderful courses like DDawg_Jensen's TGC @ Gull Island Bird Sanctuary.  I played a complete round on it with the PS4, and holes with the XB1 just before the update arrived yesterday.  It was a struggle to play on both consoles, and more often than not, I had to slow my swing down to an awkwardly slow pace just to make contact with the ball.  Both versions are only slightly better after update 2, but still require the uncomfortable, overly deliberate swing due to the low frame rates.  As much as I love TGC @ Gull Island Bird Sanctuary, I still find it frustrating to try to play under these conditions.

As far as the example that Anthony used in his Developer Diary in November, the (non-lite) version of Biggins' Isla Madeleine Resort, I'm sure I'm not seeing anything near double the frame rate improvements there.  If I had to guess at what I'm seeing, it would be on the order of a 10 to 15% performance improvement, and really, at the other two courses I've played on both the PS3 and XB1 with update 2 so far. 

I suspect that something has changed in the build since Anthony saw those numbers.  There may have been a graphics element which hadn't been changed at that point that was allowing these sorts of frame rates to be seen at that time.  An important aspect of the graphics may not have been in the mix at that time, that if it had been left out, would have called attention to itself.

Having said all that, I can't say that I don't share some of your disappointment over the performance improvement.  I see just enough to call it an improvement, but nothing close to the scale to which I had envisioned.  The graphics decline that some are claiming has to be in the Countryside theme.   The Boreal theme graphics looks as good as ever with what I've seen in the update so far.  I think the palette in the Countryside theme just makes it look less colorful.  I also think the background objects and some of the trees look a little be splotchier than the Boreal theme, but I'd still have to say that I'd put the Countryside theme in second place, behind Boreal, in overall quality.

I've got to spend considerably more time with update 2 on all versions (I haven't even updated my PC version yet, where I can get an objective performance upgrade measure) before I can given a rooted opinion though.  Oh, but it's nice to not have to worry about going into the Display settings meny before every round to turn the Depth of Field setting "OFF" now, so that's an unqualified thumbs-up from Moi'  8)

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

HB_LorinB

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
Hey guys - I am going to move this to the bugs section as I want Adam to take a look at this.  Please feel free to continue your discussion...I just want Adam to look at this.

jwfickett

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »
I'm also getting some FPS drops on a few courses.  Namely Centennial Oak.  I used to average 40-43 FPS on most holes there, now I'm down in the 28-30 range, which is borderline unplayable.

3.4 ghz I7
NVdia GTX 770 1.5 gb
8gb ddr4 RAM
#width #angles

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »
I haven't noticed anything yet but I'll give it a harder time later today.

I wonder if settings has anything to do with it. I play at Medium and haven't seen a change. Maybe it's just the high settings that have the issue. *shrug*
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Bobapett

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »
After reading this thread, I decided the first course I would try would be one that has been unplayable for me in the past - Ross Hollow.  jcauthen, you have mentioned this as a problem course as well.  I really thought I would only play one or two holes, experience the same choppiness, and quit.  But no, the course played buttery smooth for me, and I ended up playing the whole thing.  Beautiful!  The putting seemed exceptionally smooth, and really added to my feel.  I have to brave the mall crowds, and go xmas shopping, so I haven't played another course yet - but if Ross Hollow plays this good for me, I can't wait to play other courses.
Only YOU can prevent word crimes.

ajl5313

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
This thread is making me so happy I'm playing on the PC version - wow

ISAWTHAT

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 05:09:49 PM »
Yes, this thread started in the XB1 forum, and is about the XB1 version, so if you haven't played the XB1 version, you would have no idea what this game runs like.  All the overclocked PC users would drop this game like a bad habit if their pc version ran and looked like the XB1 version.  We're looking to be half of what your performance is.  I've seen the pc version, and it looks great! compared.   

ISAWTHAT

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
After reading this thread, I decided the first course I would try would be one that has been unplayable for me in the past - Ross Hollow.  jcauthen, you have mentioned this as a problem course as well.  I really thought I would only play one or two holes, experience the same choppiness, and quit.  But no, the course played buttery smooth for me, and I ended up playing the whole thing.  Beautiful!  The putting seemed exceptionally smooth, and really added to my feel.  I have to brave the mall crowds, and go xmas shopping, so I haven't played another course yet - but if Ross Hollow plays this good for me, I can't wait to play other courses.

I'll have to try it out on Hollow.  Good news!

It may be slowly getting there (performance wise) but still not next-gen.

ajl5313

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
Yes, this thread started in the XB1 forum, and is about the XB1 version, so if you haven't played the XB1 version, you would have no idea what this game runs like.  All the overclocked PC users would drop this game like a bad habit if their pc version ran and looked like the XB1 version.  We're looking to be half of what your performance is.  I've seen the pc version, and it looks great! compared.   

Absolutely true.
If there's one thing a golf game absolutely must be, it's butter smooth at a reasonably high FPS.
(to be enjoyable to me anyway)

space-cash