Ball not coming off the club correctly **BUG**

• 42 Replies

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:45:48 PM »
*I apologize but i put this in the wrong thread originally, since it is a bug i'm putting it here**

Hello there.

I have done quite a bit of testing on this situation using level lies and off the tee to ensure that the lie I have is perfectly level.

Regardless of what way the wind is blowing, there are multiple times that this occurs, here are some examples of what i'm talking about.

0 wind.  I don't touch the aim marker what so ever. I make a swing with (any club it doesn't matter).  I make a perfectly straight shot (as indicated on the red marker) and the ball will randomly jump right or left a few degrees the moment it leaves the club face.  Under the above conditions, the ball should travel completely straight and at the pin, but this doesn't always happen.

On my test scenarios I used 130, 150, 180 yards with level lie, zero wind, medium greens. I have been able to figure out the club/loft to ensure the ball travels 130, 150, 180 yards within 1-2 yards plus minus.  So under these conditions, the ball should be either just below the cup, just above the cup or in the cup.  Over 50% of the time, the ball however leaves the club face a degree or two (right or left it seems random) of center.  The result is for 130 yards i'm 4-5 feet right or left of the pin.  150 i'm 7-10 feet away and at 180 i'm almost 15 feet away right or left of the pin...all on straight shots with 0 wind.

Now I use a PC with mouse and keyboard.  My friend tried the exact same hole and over 40 shots using the same conditions, but he uses a controller on an x-box.  (It took him 60 or so shots to ensure all the shots were perfectly straight)  His results were FAR different than my own.  Out of 40 shots 38 of them were perfectly straight, with 4 holes in one.

Now I appreciate if The Golf Club makers add this little variance into the game to ensure the game has more randomness and a bit of luck involved as real golf does, I even invite it.  Unfortunately it seems that this is a PC issue when using mouse/keyboard controls and not with other platforms. If this is the case then it creates an unfair playing advantage and should be address.  I would appreciate if someone could look into this.

*NEW INFO*
Today I was finishing a tournament at Tomahawk. I came to hole number 10 a nice par 5.  I hit my first shot and I find myself on a slight sidehill lie that will pull the ball to the left, i'm 207 yards out with 0mph wind.  So I use my keyboard and tap the keyboard 10 quick times to the right. Normally in this situation I would only click 5 times as the slope was not excessive, but I wanted to make sure I didn't end up in the water to the left of the green. I hit my ball, it was straight according to the meter.  The ball immediately pulled left and I landed in the water about 10 feet from the shore. 

The game put me back into the same spot. I once again tapped the key to move right 10 times, exactly like last time.  I still had a 0 mph wind and I hit the shot again.  This time the ball jumped to the right and I ended up in the bunker to the right of the green 9 yards from the pin.  So the same shot, hit the same way, with the same wind and there was a 45-60 foot difference in where the ball landed when you compare right vs left. That is insane when you hit the ball the exact same way on both shots, the first going into the water 10 yards to the left of the pin and the other into the sand 9 yards to the right of the pin.  It is insane!**

Please, please please please HB.  If this is something that every person with every platform has to contend with, the randomness of the ball leaving the club regardless of lie, that is one thing and we should at least be aware of it and maybe it should be lowered a bit.  If it is only happening with the people with keyboard/mice like I have heard then this is an unfair disadvantage to us and really needs to be a high priority. 

I ask that you look at the other people who have posted their own screen shots and experiences on this thread and ask that you merge them together:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=8820.msg92699#msg92699

Thank you,

Brighttail

ozgreat

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:23:10 AM »
Hi,

Sounds awful...be interesting if you could have playback of the situation.

If you don't have a player both Fraps and Bandicam offer a free version that will give you 30 seconds of replay.

Just a suggestion so as the devs can see the prob in real life.

Kind regards to all,

oz
It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf.

H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 06:29:39 AM »
Hi,

Sounds awful...be interesting if you could have playback of the situation.

If you don't have a player both Fraps and Bandicam offer a free version that will give you 30 seconds of replay.

Just a suggestion so as the devs can see the prob in real life.

Kind regards to all,

oz

if you look at the other thread, my friend posted a series of three pictures. The wind was all fairly the same but what you will see is how the ball jumps 3 different ways off the face of the club.  Even with a strong wind, the ball when it leaves the club should leave straight, then be effected.

Cheagles

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
Hey all, sorry for the delay.  We're taking a look at it, but the control types have no differences between them in terms of the way the ball is going to come off the club.

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:04:49 AM »
I toyed with this a little last night and noticed that there does seem to be more variance than there used to be. I get that the swing could be slightly off but the swings I watched appeared to all be the same and the initial direction of the ball did seem to have been altered more than I recall before the last patch. Maybe I was just watching for it more though. *shrug*
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Steve2golf

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »
Hey all, sorry for the delay.  We're taking a look at it, but the control types have no differences between them in terms of the way the ball is going to come off the club.

As I said in the other thread, I now see the same issue with controller here PC , controller on x-box and m/kb here. That was concerning, it's not now, although I have no ability to test ps4.

With that said, still look at it, it's a little like the putting, it would be nice for the initial starting line to not be so random but be the result of something be it lie or axis hit or preferably both, just not random.
Course(s) Created TGC 2019:
PGA West (Stadium Course)

ozgreat

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 02:50:16 AM »
Hey Brightail,

I am sorry, I missed those screenshots.....just me...lol

Kind regards to all,

oz
It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf.

H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
No worries, as I said i"m trying to determine if this is a bug on all platforms of if this random 'squirt' of 1-5 degrees either side of center is part of the game we have to deal with.

Sheppy

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:06:35 PM »
I have noticed this as well.
Seems to happen to me more when I use the fade/draw grid.
Yesterday on tour, I had a mid iron shot to a green (cant remember which club) with a 6 mph left to right crosswind.
Most people know that each gridline equates to approx 12mph. I lined up in the centre of the grid lines (ie 6mph) on the 'Draw' side, made the shot which according to the cone, was a nice straight shot and voila! the ball went so far left it completely missed the green!
Doesnt happen all the time though which is the strange thing.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 08:17:26 PM »
I really haven't looked at it when I mess with fade/draw, but I was playing a tourney today and honestly shooting at a tight green with a 1mph wind head on.. aim straight, hit straight and I end up in the bunker 8yards to the left of the pin.  I just don't understand it.

I'm still waiting for someone from HB to let us know if this is intentional or a bug.  If it is intentionally random and happens to us all, okay...the problem is i watch ghost players and I place my mouse on their ball before they hit and I have seen some players go through 18 holes without it happening... :(

Something is amiss. 

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:36:27 PM »

This is honestly ridiculous at this point.  I played 3 rounds today and actually did something I don't do when I play tournaments. I turned on angle snapping to ensure I would have 100% straight shots.  Here are my findings.

How i measured this was placing two pieces of tape on my monitor.  One on the ball and one about 1/2 way up with a piece of string between the two.  I used a ruler to validate they were the exact same distance from the edge of my monitor.

30-35% of my tee shots exhibited some sort of ball squirt, where the ball would start either right or left of the string anywhere from 1-4 degrees.  This is on a tee shot where it is absolutely a 100% level lie.

Throughout my game, I played on one of the easiest and most level courses out there, again 30-35% of my approach shots also exhibited the same behaviour.

When it came to putting and chipping I did not observe this ball squirt.

What does this mean?  It means when playing under low wind situations, a 3-4 degree ball squirt that goes in the same direction of the wind blowing, you might end up 8-12 feet away from the pin on either side.  If the wind is 8-14mph, this distance rises to 20-30 feet!  The higher the wind the worse that little squirt is emphasized.

Simply put in a game that penalizes you for a swing that isn't straight, it shouldn't penalize when you hit a straight shot, even if it is random.  When trying to cut the corner or fly over a bunker on a tee shot, this issue can mean the difference of a second shot in the fair way or in the heavy rough/bunker.

I have been waiting and waiting for some comment from HB on this to let us know if this is a "bug" or an intentional aspect of the game.  This makes a difference to me, because do I start experimenting with ways using draw/fade or adjusting my aim to take into consideration of a possible ball squirt or do I wait for the fix.  PLEASE HB respond!

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 11:45:06 PM »

I just found out something very interesting... it doesn't have as much to do with the platform as it does with the controller.  I had two people come forth who use PCs who say they use an xbox controller instead of a mouse and they do not have this effect.  Is it possible this doesn't happen on controllers?

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 12:05:37 AM »
I use 360 pad and have noticed it quite a lot lately too, played 2 tour rounds last night and at one point i was convinced hb had increased the effect of the wind, i remember  3 or 4 straight  hits with a 4 mph cross wind that acted like they were 10 mph.  there is something  definitely going  on.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:19:36 AM by DoGgzbollox »

rabidtango

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »
I've noticed several times lately hitting a perfect slam dunk shot right at the hole only to be surprised at the variance of where the ball landed.  This really causes you to scratch your head.  I've logged enough hours to know when I hit a perfectly flush shot and where the ball should end up.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »
So the question remains,

Is this a bug or is it working as intended?  Meaning HB put it in there as a random possibility.

space-cash