No Aids

• 28 Replies

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« on: February 26, 2015, 05:30:11 AM »
So I just started playing with everything off.  No scout cam, no grids, no shot selection, no wind indicator, the whole nine yards.  Everything about it is awesome except the putting.  How the freak are you people reading the break?!?  I can't find anyway that it's possible.  What am I missing?  Anybody got vids of them playing this way?  Or tips?  It really just seems like a guessing game, especially without the follow cam.  It seems like only 1 out of 10 times I can tell which way its going and thats only if the lighting is right and the break is dramatic.  I've been using the putting cam but it hasn't been any help so far.

Really suggest people try this out by the way.  Total game changer.  no scout cam and no wind speed indicator make it so much more realistic and a lot more challenging.  My scores are taking a hit but making a birdie feels like a major accomplishment.  Love it!  Just need to figure out the greens because it's kinda ruining the experience.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
My favorite way to play!  Another way to really step up the realism is take a sticky, or something, and cover the indicators in the bottom right corner that pop-up after the shots (cone/percentage/yardage).  You will be amazed at how you don't need them and how much watching the ball instead of looking to the indicators right after a swing makes it feel more real!

As for reading the putts - there are two keys I use:

1) I enter the putting cam and do a complete 360 of the whole, stopping in various places, and moving the camera up and down from ground level to about 10 feet off of the ground to get different angles.

2) I look at the cup from ground level (sometimes from the front, sometimes from the back). You can tell if the ground angles near the cup by the with ring.  If one side has more white than the other, then the ground is angled.  To see this is sometimes have to get it so I see no white at all then, very slowly, bring the camera up.  If you see the white appear on one side of the cup before the other...the ground is angled.  I can't remember, off of the top of my head, if the side with "more" or "first" white showing is the uphill or downhill side of the slope...but just test it and you will figure it out (I think it is the downhill).  This method doesn't always work, due to the lie..and it only tells you the slope within a couple of feet of the hole...but it is a useful too and guide as most 10-15 don't break in two directions.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:56:16 AM »
Here is how I do it:

1. Pay attention on the approach - this is huge as if you roll out you get an indication from that.
2. Putting cam and get low from behind the hole - gives me an opinion
3. Check the side views for confirmation (how much of the hole is visible etc.)
4. Putting cam from behind the player - Locks a line in
5. If still not sure, swing the aiming marker around a bit to see if elevation changes (this is a bit of a "cheat", but I justify it by that it is like walking around a real green.)

What you need to do is make a proper read, just like in real golf. Don't just stare at your line. Which way is the general green area sloping? is there water? (lowpoint). Can you determine a high side and low side by looking at the whole picture, not just a thin line between ball and hole. Last one is huge, since if you know that its higher on the left of you and lower on the right there is a very good chance you have a left to right putt, even if it is subtle around the hole. It's a detective work, but real life concepts carry over extremely well.

Sometimes it all comes together, you set the aim marker, execute perfectly.......... and then watch the ball break the other way. Just like in real golf :-) But for the most part you will get in ballpark.

Learning the greens and where not to be on them is huge as well, just like in real golf.

One of the hardest things I find is to not read break into a straight putt but trusting that read.

Coda1850

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »
Biggest complaint.  Last gen provided greens that show the slopes, hills, etc...  The putting green always looks so flat relative to the slopes that are actually there (in the GolfClubGame).

This needs improvement.  Who wants those horrible lines & colors all over those beautiful greens?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:16:23 PM by Coda1850 »
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 04:11:40 PM »
Well, I just shot my first round under par. 3 under at the Kootenai Club.  Maybe with a little more practice I'll get the hang of it but i still feel like I'm guessing most of the time.  Thanks for the tips!

bigtee

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:54:31 PM »
You'll get used to it. At first it's not easy to see where the breaks are, but it all falls into place after some practice.

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »
   Recently started playing this way as well and love it. However, I agree its impossible to read the break in the greens on the ps4. They look the same to me. I can't tell a 12 foot break if its left or right.....I guess. Will use all the tips above and continue to practice. Hopefully eventually I will "see" the break. Do you guys play on the ps4? That is what we use. Thank you
"We don't see that on our end"

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »
PS4 here as well.

Rtomboli

• gamertag: WALKyourTALK
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:39:05 PM »
Would try this but the time put into reading greens would be about as painful as watching the pros read the putt 11 times on tv.

Even IRL you can walk to a green, an greatly guess the break of the greens as soon as you step on them. Sure there are subtle breaks that only members know but you can get an overall feel of the green within 2-3 seconds. I wish TGC could get this feel (without the lines, obviously). Thatd be awesome. Space the lines out to 50% of what they are, 20%, etc.
The Orchard at Haley's Estate
Eighteen at Prestige Valley - 4.75 on TGCT. Fav.
Blue Willow Club & Lodge- 5.0 on TGCT - Most played.
Eighteen at Majestic Pines-5.0 on TGCT - The best rated.
Cypress Pointe Golf Club -4.75 on TGCT- A challenge.
Royal Acres Country Club 4.0 on TGCT
Links at the Bay-4.0

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 11:56:06 PM »
Agree, there should to be something between grid and no grid.  For now I think I may have to start using follow cam on my approach shots to get some kind of read.

banjobowling

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 12:04:22 AM »
Agree, there should to be something between grid and no grid.  For now I think I may have to start using follow cam on my approach shots to get some kind of read.

Maybe an option to shrink the green grid down to a 3ft x 3ft. Call it the "gimmie zone"!

wirenut48

• Retired Electrician IBEW Local 48
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »
Having a 1 yard diameter grid around the aiming marker would make for a easy way to spot check the slope along the putt path.
PSN/Steam Wirenut48

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »
Having a 1 yard diameter grid around the aiming marker would make for a easy way to spot check the slope along the putt path.

I think this would play just like an annoying implementation of the full grid.

mebby

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:25 AM »
A break line indicator on the aiming stick could work well if implemented properly. I think the one in PG is good but perhaps too telling. 
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
   Still can't get into the no putting grid, as much as I want to. It simply takes too long and is too tedious......after all that its still a guess that I am wrong 50% of the time with the actual direction of the break, much less the severity. Don't understand how people do this on the ps4. It's a tedious guessing game at best. Sticking with it (for now) as the recent lag/stuttering/constant power loss swings  are taking its toll on me (and a lot of others) on the ps4. Good time to work on the putting. Playing par 3 courses only for now to practice.
"We don't see that on our end"

space-cash