how and why would you do this?

• 33 Replies

koopakid

• Gaming since 1979. Owns all the consoles.
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:08:20 AM »
Why would you bring out a great game like this and leave out the multiplayer lobby? I cannot fathom what the hell you guys are doing. Just what is the objective in this game anyway? I cant work out what you are actually aiming for in the game. No lobby and there does not seem to be much in the way of single player either. I am amazed you released the game without any modes, but the lack of a lobby is utter shameful.

I would fix this issue if i was you or you will lose most of the players to PGA tour etc coming soon. I love this game but after 1 month what can i do with it? Its unfinished.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:11:47 AM by koopakid »
Gaming since 1979. Owns all the consoles. Come and play with the best.

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:55:03 AM »
Why would you bring out a great game like this and leave out the multiplayer lobby? I cannot fathom what the hell you guys are doing. Just what is the objective in this game anyway? I cant work out what you are actually aiming for in the game. No lobby and there does not seem to be much in the way of single player either. I am amazed you released the game without any modes, but the lack of a lobby is utter shameful.

I would fix this issue if i was you or you will lose most of the players to PGA tour etc coming soon. I love this game but after 1 month what can i do with it? Its unfinished.

Hopefully they get this in sooner or later man.  I've been with this game from the start and I love just about everything about it except for the lack of a real lobby and game modes that can be shared with other players.    I believe that they are going as fast as they can quite honestly the big thing here is their priorities are different than what one would expect for a modern day golf game.   The hit it WAY out of the park with the course creator and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this is why this game has been so successful quite honestly.

The game play is great, and the course creator keeps things afloat.   They have a career mode coming out and if I'm being honest I'm very interested to see if this holds people over until they get a lobby in.  Lets be honest,  they do eventually have to get a lobby in I believe because even if they fix the delay with the multiplayer there will still  need to be an easy way to meet up and play games without all the issues that we deal with now like having to go back and add and re add players, or seeing the wrong shots go in or out from our opponent.

I believe that this game is built to expand and last and way ahead of it's time..   Gamers will come and go, because they're not use to sticking with one game in todays flavor of the week society.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

crow357

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 08:39:17 AM »
Some people just like to play golf and design courses.  Clearly that's not your thing.  Enjoy PGA when it comes out.  This won't have a lobby for quite some time.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:33:17 AM »
Why would you bring out a great game like this and leave out the multiplayer lobby?

Well before the release of the game, HB Studios said that one of the design goals was to create a golf game that didn't require a premium network membership (XBox Live and Playstation Plus) for multiplayer play.  I think their reasoning was it would reduce their potential audience size, as by the golf game multiplayer they have access to shows that only 10% of those who own a multiplayer online playable golf game actually play live, head-to-head multiplayer.

With that in mind, I'd say they saw their potential return on investment for the effort required to include it in the game to be below their target.  As a fan of live multiplayer play myself, I'm not pleased that this appears to be the case, but I have to step outside of my bias for live multiplayer and accept the fact that the demand for a live multiplayer, game-on-demand arena/lobby, isn't what it needs to be to make it profitable for HB Studios.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Joel Thompson HB

• GroupMember
  • Head of Animation
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »
Hey Koopa, if you would be a dear and spot us a couple million we'll get production rolling on that right away for you!  In the meantime I hope you can somehow manage to find a way to squeeze out $30 of entertainment and enjoyment from this "bare bones" golf game we're offering you  ;)

Passive-aggressive posts aside... 

We're givin' 'er all we got, Captain!!  Hang in there with us, enjoy some rounds of golf, hone your skills, and let this caterpillar turn into a butterfly!  Your "constructive" criticism and prophecies of our demise are inspiring and all but it doesn't grant us the funds or time to get such a system implemented any faster.  All in good time.

Money, folks....  It all costs money.

"Animation can explain whatever the mind of man can conceive."  ~Walt Disney

Pubknight

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:48:55 AM »
You can play live multiplayer just fine without a multiplayer lobby.
We have a bunch of guys that can range from 2-8 players that do it all the time.
OP is in PS4 subforum, which is what we all play on.
Here is what we do:
- everyone is on each others friends lists
- use ps4 party chat to coordinate, we discuss the course to pick, etc
- once all in the course, the game automatically adds live friends to your game. If it doesn't, you can go to change rivals (press option) and add in live players
- this gets everyone on the same scorecard

It is live multiplayer.
Without a lobby.
And it works great.
For the price of the title, in a niche game market,  it surpasses anything I would have fairly expected.

The Headhunter

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 10:57:33 AM »
We do the same and it works out great for us.  I have no interest in playing games with Joe Public..... Sorry Joe!   ;D

People are definitely not used to the caterpillar to butterfly idea for a video game.  Everyone is used to getting new versions of a game every year.  HB has been saying it from the beginning that they will continue to support this game and continue to grow it.  Who knows, maybe I am being naive but I believe it and plan to be here for the long haul.   :)
My latest courses:
Par 3 Tournament Course at Hunter Meadows
Devil's Whisper
Golf Club at Hunter Meadows
Durham Springs

usc_yogi

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 11:12:45 AM »
I've never understood the fuss over no mp lobby in this game, but different strokes for different folks I guess. I really do not play a lot of live games against people and it doesn't bother me, but if I do the party chat feature is easy on the PS4 at least to get things going.

If I want to play against randoms then I will just hide the scores on the leaderboard for whatever course I pick and then choose someone to play. Not knowing what their  score will be is enough to keep me interested in the competition.

I've never been that interested in turn-based multiplayer in golf since it takes so long. I have a job, wife and three kids. If I can play a couple hours a night and get 3 good rounds in using ghost balls then I am happy. From my old TW days it just seemed to most people in a lobby were just trying to find someone not to challenging to play to improve their ranking and there were a lot of quitters.

I am most interested in the season mode. Hopefully they will be able to find away down the road to incorporate other real players and not just AI players.
PSN: usc_yogi

Nzer

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »
Yeah, the majority of us here want a lobby, but i know it costs money.  But posts like OPs don't help anything.  He is more than welcome to jump over to EAs new game when it comes out, and I am sure he will go into their forums and moan about something there. 

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 11:47:27 AM »
We have a bunch of guys that can range from 2-8 players that do it all the time.
Here is what we do:
- once all in the course, the game automatically adds live friends to your game. If it doesn't, you can go to change rivals (press option) and add in live players

What you're describing does work and it's the best solution for live multiplayer play to date.  What spoils it for me is the fact that the action is 6 to 8 seconds behind the live voice chat.  When I'm in voice communication via party chat, it takes a lot out of the drama of live play when I hear my opponent's reaction to a shot 6 to 8 seconds before it plays out on the screen.  Even if they shorten this down to 3 or 4 seconds, the spoiler is still going to be there.  I've tried to discipline myself not to react vocally to a shot when playing live multiplayer, but I can't do it.

OTOH, if I'm not in voice chat with my opponent, there is no spoiler and in this sense, it plays better.  The update's reduction in lag will help this approach even more.  I guess it's tolerable until something better comes along, but I sympathize with what Joel said about costs a few posts back.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:54:25 PM by jcauthen04 »
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 06:19:11 PM »
   Agree with Pbknight and others. The multiplayer is awesome when played as Pub outlined. Works just great, love it. Also love playing ghost balls. I think the current system is brilliant. Reducing the delay will be icing on the cake.....can't wait.
"We don't see that on our end"

koopakid

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 11:50:24 PM »
Hey Koopa, if you would be a dear and spot us a couple million we'll get production rolling on that right away for you!  In the meantime I hope you can somehow manage to find a way to squeeze out $30 of entertainment and enjoyment from this "bare bones" golf game we're offering you  ;)

We're givin' 'er all we got, Captain!!  Hang in there with us, enjoy some rounds of golf, hone your skills, and let this caterpillar turn into a butterfly!  Your "constructive" criticism and prophecies of our demise are inspiring and all but it doesn't grant us the funds or time to get such a system implemented any faster.  All in good time.

You must be the first developers i know of that charge 30 pounds english money on psn, to then moan you dont have enough money for a complete game! Absolutely crazy! Why bother then? Why not release a finished game for 45 pounds? You have given an absurd answer! What do you want next . more money from us?

koopakid

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 11:53:43 PM »
Here is what we do:

It is live multiplayer.
Without a lobby.
And it works great.
For the price of the title, in a niche game market,  it surpasses anything I would have fairly expected.

I understand what your saying but i expect a game in 2015 (although a good solid game) to not belong in the dark ages with no multiplayer matchmaking.

NevadaBallin

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 06:19:49 AM »
Small studio
Small budget.
$35 retail price game.

That's why.
Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

andya14

• http://yosoyungamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/The-Golf-Club.jpg
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »

surely the new community manager ;D well said my friend! well said ;D

space-cash