how and why would you do this?

• 33 Replies

koopakid

• Gaming since 1979. Owns all the consoles.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »
Small studio
Small budget.
$35 retail price game.

That's why.

And thats my fault is it?
Gaming since 1979. Owns all the consoles. Come and play with the best.

koopakid

• Gaming since 1979. Owns all the consoles.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 12:03:02 PM »
Hey Koopa, if you would be a dear and spot us a couple million we'll get production rolling on that right away for you!  In the meantime I hope you can somehow manage to find a way to squeeze out $30 of entertainment and enjoyment from this "bare bones" golf game we're offering you  ;)

Passive-aggressive posts aside... 

We're givin' 'er all we got, Captain!!  Hang in there with us, enjoy some rounds of golf, hone your skills, and let this caterpillar turn into a butterfly!  Your "constructive" criticism and prophecies of our demise are inspiring and all but it doesn't grant us the funds or time to get such a system implemented any faster.  All in good time.

Money, folks....  It all costs money.

surely the new community manager ;D well said my friend! well said ;D

What the hell are you on? We are talking about a game here without a multiplayer lobby or matchmaking scheme. And you are giving brownie points to mods? Guys just let me know when you add a career mode and the lobby in a years time and i may come back. Until then this is a failed experiment that may work on a pc but on a console has bombed. Im out
Gaming since 1979. Owns all the consoles. Come and play with the best.

Pubknight

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »

I understand what your saying but i expect a game in 2015 (although a good solid game) to not belong in the dark ages with no multiplayer matchmaking.

Which goes to the question if that is fair to expect.
Forget the year.
Look at the studio size.
Most studios of this size create single player games.
Why is that?
Because multiplayer lobbies are difficult and time intensive to code.
The number of AAA famous studios that screw them up all the time should evidence that.
Yes, network middleware could be purchased... that's expensive... and it still has to be incorporated into the game (difficult/time intensive again)
A tough investment call for a small studio not knowing if the game was going to sell.

I think it is perfectly fair and reasonable to expect multiplayer lobbies not to exist, at least not yet.
If the title sells well, and stands the test of time, multiplayer lobbies are the exact sort of thing people might expect to see via expansion/dlc/future versions.

In the interim, they have provided a pretty clever and fully functional system to hold everyone over.

Nzer

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 12:15:05 PM »
Im out

Lol, you won't be missed.  What an over reaction. 

crow357

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
A poll done in February clearly showed almost 80% of respondents were content to wait for HB to program a multiplayer lobby.

NevadaBallin

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 02:47:15 PM »
Small studio
Small budget.
$35 retail price game.

That's why.

And thats my fault is it?

If you don't understand what I said, which was very simple, then THAT is where your fault is.
Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

mnguy12000

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »
Hey Koopa, if you would be a dear and spot us a couple million we'll get production rolling on that right away for you!  In the meantime I hope you can somehow manage to find a way to squeeze out $30 of entertainment and enjoyment from this "bare bones" golf game we're offering you  ;)

Passive-aggressive posts aside... 

We're givin' 'er all we got, Captain!!  Hang in there with us, enjoy some rounds of golf, hone your skills, and let this caterpillar turn into a butterfly!  Your "constructive" criticism and prophecies of our demise are inspiring and all but it doesn't grant us the funds or time to get such a system implemented any faster.  All in good time.

Money, folks....  It all costs money.

surely the new community manager ;D well said my friend! well said ;D

What the hell are you on? We are talking about a game here without a multiplayer lobby or matchmaking scheme. And you are giving brownie points to mods? Guys just let me know when you add a career mode and the lobby in a years time and i may come back. Until then this is a failed experiment that may work on a pc but on a console has bombed. Im out

Ummm, ok see yeah.  But make sure you come back in May when they launch Career, but you wont like that because there will be a small charge for that.  But hey, PGA2015 will be out and based on tw14, the dlc will only cost you $10 per course pack, and pin and oh who are we kidding all said and done you'll be out well over $90 after all the add ons!  enjoy your lobby though!
My Courses:
GunFlint Trail GC
Macaw G.C.
Cathedral Pines G.C.
Spruce Harbor G.C.
Evelyn Hills Golf Club
RCR - Chom0nix
Valley Meadows
Breaker's Point GC
WIP RCR Columbia Golf Club, Mpls MN

Joel Thompson HB

• GroupMember
  • Head of Animation
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
You must be the first developers i know of that charge 30 pounds english money on psn, to then moan you dont have enough money for a complete game! Absolutely crazy! Why bother then? Why not release a finished game for 45 pounds? You have given an absurd answer! What do you want next . more money from us?

Koopa, my friend.  Sony EU is charging you 30 pounds on PSN, not HBS.  I paid $35 CAD, which is like what $10 US heh, and I play the $#!T out of this game...  The amount of entertainment I have got out of this game is equal to or more than the $60 CAD I'd drop on any AAA title I've purchased within the last 3 years, easily.  This game has literally made me hold my breath, pump my fist, scream at the monitor in both excitement and anger, laugh, ALMOST cry, and most importantly 'rage quit' (or "start-restart's" as I like to call them)... All for the low low price of $35.  How you can't manage to find the value for your, obviously hard earned, dollar *ahem* pound is beyond me... and unfortunate.  Haven't Sony EU offered some insane deals on TGC not that long ago??  Somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40% off?   Perhaps this would be a complete non-issue if you had've caught one of those deals and not had to shell out the extra to cover Sony's cut??

I'm going to paste a small snippet of a email that had been sent out in response to someone else who thought they weren't getting their monies worth, because I feel it puts into perspective how far your hard earned money goes in the world of entertainment...

"You’ve played 10hrs of the Game for $30 that’s $3 an hour
a.   My local Cinema is currently showing movies at under 2hrs for $10.99 that’s $5.50 an hour – which would give you better value for money with your purchase of The Golf Club
b.   A dinner (Fish and Chips )and a beer (Budweiser) at my local bar would take around 2hrs and cost $25 that’s $12.50 an hour - which also $ per hour ratio is better with The Golf Club"

So yea...  We know what you want and it's okay to want it, I'm not even mad bro  8)   We want a lot of it too.  What we also know is that we've tried to be nothing but 100% fair in terms of price point and the features that can be provided at that level.   If you feel that what we've provided you within TGC is a failure in those regards then that's too bad... But also from my experience within this community, as well as outside of it, is most certainly not the common vibe.   Sad to see you leave as there's a lot of fun golf to be played while you await the features that make this a "real game".   To each their own.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:00:53 PM by Joel Thompson HB »
"Animation can explain whatever the mind of man can conceive."  ~Walt Disney

The Headhunter

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 04:51:28 PM »
Between playing rounds and designing courses, I have put over 920 hours into the game so far!  For $35, this game has been an absolute steal.  $0.04 per hour is a pretty good entertainment ratio.   ;D     All my $60 games are collecting dust.
My latest courses:
Par 3 Tournament Course at Hunter Meadows
Devil's Whisper
Golf Club at Hunter Meadows
Durham Springs

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 05:29:05 PM »
   This game is a steal indeed. Not to mention all the money saved from not buying a single game since buying this. This is the only game I need. Can't wait to spend some money on dlc, I feel guilty what I paid for this game ($35 US).    Haven't even touched the course creator yet, one addiction is enough for now.
"We don't see that on our end"

Imsdale

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »
Im out

Lol, you won't be missed.  What an over reaction.

Hmmm, now I remember why I justed hated those online lobbies in the TW-games: Impossible to find friendly, polite and educated people to play a round or two of golf. ::) I think HBS have found an excellent solution, IMHO: No quitting, no swearing and no online fees.

Nope, that kind of behaviour will not be missed.  :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:31:28 PM by Imsdale »

Pubknight

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »
Call my a conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to question the motivation of some of these types of threads now that the Golf Club isn't the only golf game out/on the horizon.

crow357

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 12:27:30 PM »
Yeah, TW lobbies were pretty who can out swear the other.  I won't miss it.

mnguy12000

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 12:52:55 PM »
Call my a conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to question the motivation of some of these types of threads now that the Golf Club isn't the only golf game out/on the horizon.

truth pubnight. 
My Courses:
GunFlint Trail GC
Macaw G.C.
Cathedral Pines G.C.
Spruce Harbor G.C.
Evelyn Hills Golf Club
RCR - Chom0nix
Valley Meadows
Breaker's Point GC
WIP RCR Columbia Golf Club, Mpls MN

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »
  True Pub and I am really starting to think why I waste as much time as I do here. Same people complaining over the same things.
"We don't see that on our end"

space-cash